Tuesday, January 4, 2011

review: Matched

You know what I love about reading? Almost everyone reads SOMETHING. Magazines, newspapers, blogs, books, comics (or the funnies, as my grandma calls them). And everyone who reads something has an opinion on what is good and are willing to share that gem of info.

Such is the case with my new favorite book series, Matched, by Ally Condie. When I went to return Revolution (by Jennifer Donnelly) I took it by my favorite reference librarian to recommended to her teenage daughter. She, in turn, told me about Matched, and how said teenage daughter thought I might like it.



I read it.
I loved it.
I had to buy it.
I need to return the other copy to the library.

Cassia lives in a perfect world-- the Society runs it's citizens lives so each can live it to "optimal results." Everything is perfectly planned. Culture and arts have been streamlined-- there are a Hundred Poems, a Hundred Paintings, a Hundred Songs-- with less there is more time to enjoy it. And at seventeen you are "matched" to the person whom you will enter a Marriage Contract with. Cassia has waiting for this moment her whole life. It's wonderful. It's magical. Until something goes horribly wrong.

I'm not going to give any more of the book away, but it brought up so many good questions. What if you were in charge of choosing one hundred things and all the rest would be done away with? Could you? What songs, poems, books or paintings would you hope to see make the list?

And the "Matched" concept--do you think you could choose to Matched(All citizens may chose to be Matched or be Single)? Could you have enough faith to allow someone to make such an important decision? Would you be Matched with the person you are with today? (Oh no. On paper, my husband and I are about as compatible as lightning and an above-ground swimming pool)

The second book in the Matched trilogy, Crossed, comes out in November of 2011, and I'm sad about the long wait.

Rating: 4.5 Stars

See more reviews of Matched at Goodreads. Or be my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment