Sunday, January 30, 2011

review: Dash and Lily's Book of Dares

Dash and Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cochn and David Levithan
Published: Knopf (October 26, 2010)
Pages: 272
Source: Borrowed from library

Short Summary: ...it's Christmas time in the city. And for Lily and Dash this holiday season means empty apartments and open schedules. For Lily, this is awful. Christmastime is for family and presents and decorations and CAROLING. For Dash, it's a nice break from his parents and their significant others. Worlds will collide, however, when Dash unearths a red Moleskin notebook on the shelves of the Strand, NYC's famous bookstore.

Inside the notebook Dash finds a series of clues. Clues written by Lily which will lead to a city-wide scavenger hunt as Lily and Dash shuffle the Moleskin back and forth. They hit up some of New York's most iconic Christmas spots and with exchange learn more about each other.

As more is revealed, Dash and Lily both began to wonder: what if this relationship is better left on paper?

My thoughts: Dash and Lily's Book of Dares immediately caught by eye. I'm a big fan of Cohn and Levithan's other two collaborations-- Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist and Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List. And I love the fast-paced movement of the New York setting. I <3 NY.

The characters in this novel are fun and quirky--and stereotypical. Lily is the sensitive, sheltered introvert and Dash is the analytic bookworm. Little quirks brighten their characters and made both of them likable. Having a great cast of supporting characters helps as well-- Lily's cousin might be my favorite character in the book.

This book is also where I got the title for my blog, in a place where Dash described himself..."I was horribly bookish, to the point of coming right out and saying it, which I knew was not socially acceptable. I particularly loved the adjective bookish, which I found other people used about as often as ramrod or chum or teetotaler."

This book is a fun quick read that really put me in the holiday spirit--and pining for a December trip to the Big Apple.

Rating: 3 Stars

1 comment:

  1. This one sounds like an adorable read! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete