Thursday, January 20, 2011

currently reading: Anna and the French Kiss/Seven Ages of Paris

Two books about one of my favorite cities in the world...Paris!

First off is this gem of a YA book, Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins.

Like some of other readers of this novel, I was a little put out by the cheesy title and the cover art. But after finding it again and again on "The Best Books of 2010" lists, I bit the bullet and ordered it with an Amazon gift card I had received for Christmas. And I'm really glad I did.

This is a great contemporary romance with a good cast of characters and an amazing city for a setting. I'm holding back on finishing it though. I'm using it as a bribe for myself...when I finish my laundry I can finish my book.

Good plan, no?




And book number (the book I carry with me and read at work during my lunch break), a histoire of Paris itself.

Seven Ages of Paris by Alistair Horne covers the history of Paris from the early 1100s to the mid twenty-first century. Horne's book is drenched in knowledge of the City of Lights and broken into two to five page "essays", each with it's own heading.

Some parts, however, are easy to get through then others, and it's best to have a pen handy to take notes on which Louis or Henri did what. I've read up to the beginning of Louis the XIV's reign, and since I know a bit more about this time period in France then the past it's coming along much quicker.

By the way, the cover on this book is wonderful. It's paperback, with a canvas feel. The artwork has great brush strokes and it's a lovely portrait of Paris.

I love reading both of these books and reminiscing about my own trip to Paris in 2008.


If only there were more hours in the day to read.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you have fun with these! I loved Anna! I thought it was such a fun read!

    ReplyDelete