Friday, January 21, 2011

2011 Non-Fiction Challenge

I've set a challenge on Goodreads to read 300 books this year (Only two down--I really need to get busy), but I saw this challenge on The Broke & The Bookish and I couldn't pass it up!



Check out this post for all the rules and details.

As I have an entire year for this challenge, I'm going to go ahead and try to read a book from 7 of the 9 categories.

Culture: Non-fiction books about different cultures, religions and foreign lands; memoirs & biographies count. The Girl from Foreign: A Search for Shipwrecked Ancestors, Lost Loves, and Forgotten Histories by Sadia Shepard


Art: Non-fiction books about anything art related (painters, music, architecture, photography, dance, literature, film, etc.). Memoirs/biographies of any people related to the arts count. Degas in New Orleans: Encounters in the Creole World of Kate Chopin and George Washington Cable by Christopher Benfey


Medical: anything related to the medical field--industry memoirs, memoirs about illnesses (mental included) /diseases, etc. Warm Springs: Traces of a Childhood at FDR's Polio Haven by Susan Richards Shreve

Travel: travelogues, industry memoirs, travel guides, etc.  Mumbai To Mecca: A Pilgrimage to the Holy Sites of Islam by Ilija Trojanow

Memoir/Biography: Self explanatory. Cleopatra: A Life by Stacy Schiff

History: Anything history related-- events, biographies of historic figures, etc. Queen of Fashion: What Marie Antoinette Wore to the Revolution by Caroline Weber


I'm excited to be reading some books I own and haven't gotten to yet, like Queen of Fashion and The Girl from Foreign. I'm very interested in Warm Springs. My grandmother had polio as a child and besides the basic medical history of the virus I don't really know that much about it.

Ugh, just realized I didn't link up the right way. Sorry!





No comments:

Post a Comment