Saturday, January 22, 2011

2011 Eastern Europe Reading Challenge

Another day, another challenge. This one is hosted by The Black Sheep Dances.


Check out this post for all the details and rules.


The 2011 Eastern Europe Reading Challenge will definitely push me in the direction of different books. I love reading books about different countries and places, but England, France and Italy seem to reign supreme in this aspect. While I have some knowledge of East Europe, I also can't point most of them out on the map. 

I'm going for the Tourist level on this challenge, with a goal of reading 4 books about Eastern Europe or written by authors from this region.

My selections for this challenge:


The Zookeeper's Wife: A War Story by Diane Ackerma (Poland)

Push Not the River by James Conroyd Martin (Poland)

Death and the Penguin by Andrei Kurkov (Russia)

The Appointment: A Novel by Herta Müller (Romania)


I visited Poland in 2008, and I love reading about this country. A Long, Long Time Ago and Essentially True by Brigid Pasulka is a wonderful novel about Poland. I had recently heard about The Zoo Keeper's Wife and Push Not the River has been on my to-read list for a while. The other books are all based on recommendations found on Black Sheep Dances. Both sound good, and the summary on Goodreads for The Appointment makes me want to read it right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment