Friday, February 4, 2011

review: I Now Pronounce You Someone Else

I Now Pronounce You Someone Else by Erin McCahan
Published: Levine Books (June 1, 2010)
Pages: 272
Source: Borrowed from library

Short Summary: Bronwen Oliver has never felt like she belongs in her family. She's nothing like her petite blonde mother and perfect brother. So Bronwen and her best friend create a new life for her--she's Phoebe Lilywhite, the daughter of a prominent family who was switched at birth with the Oliver's child. As time goes by, what was once a childhood dream becomes an inside joke and Bronwen has adjusted into a normal high school student. She enjoys hanging out with her friends and is currently dealing with drama from her (now ex-) boyfriend.

But when Jared Sondervan walks into her life everything changes. Jared is sweet and kind and sexy... everything Bronwen wants in a guy. And the Sondervans are funny and close-knit... everything Bronwen wants in a family. When Jared proposes after just a few months of dating and plans for a summer wedding emerge, Bronwen seems destined for the life and family she has always craved. But with Jared's big questions comes another. What if she is making a mistake?

My Thoughts: I Now Pronounce You Someone Else is a fun book that really go me thinking. The cute cover and darling romance lead me to believe it would just be a mushy read, but I was proved wrong. The relationship between Bronwen and Jared, while endearing, brings out some serious questions. Is Bronwen ready to be married? What will married life be like for two college students? What is she going going to miss out on? What if she can't do this?

Just a few generations back and Bronwen's decision to marry young would have been the norm. But culture has evolved and marriage right out of high school has become almost a taboo in our society. McCahan creates a dilemma for her readers--Bronwen and Jared are in love and I wanted them to be together, but I always wanted Bronwen to explore college and all the fun that goes with it. I married my own high school sweetheart after I finished college and I feel that I can relate to Bronwen and Jared's feelings. The book made me reflect on the times that I thought I was ready to be married at such a young age. The book covers a topic which seemed almost out of place in today's contemporary YA genre.

At the end, I was happy with Bronwen's decision and I love the way McCahan left the ending. It's so full of possibilities.

Rating: A great read. 4 stars!

1 comment:

  1. So glad to see you enjoyed this one because I did as well! Oh, and I have to agree- I loved the ending and the possibilities it brought. It was such a great way to end the book.

    ReplyDelete