Thursday, March 17, 2011

Review: Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand
Published: Harper Teen (Jan 4, 2011)
Source: Bought


Summary from Goodreads: 

In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees . . . .

Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.

Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place—and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.

As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make—between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?

My Thoughts: I thought Unearthly was an outstanding book and one that I really enjoyed reading. The angel lore was interesting and different from the other angels books I have read. Granted, that would only include The Mortal Instruments series--so for all I know it's the same as a million other books. :)

I did love the fact that there was no big reveal about the fact that Clara is an angel--she knows, she lets the reader know... there's no "OMG I'M AN ANGEL, now I have to cry and be angsty for several chapters" moment. It was quite refreshing. It let the book glide into the real plot--should Clara follow her heart or her purpose?

Speaking of heart, Tucker is an absolute doll and one of my favorite male leads this year. I want to spend the entire summer fishing, swimming and living on a boat. Love him.

Unearthly was a great opening for what I believe will be an amazing trilogy--I'm really interested in seeing the development of the story line!

2 comments: